Greek-Style Fresh Tomato Sauce
Rach prepares tomato sauce with feta, mint, flat leaf parsley and oregano to serve over penne rigate. Seafood Skewers on a Bed of Chili-Garlic Spinach is a perfect complement.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound penne rigate (with lines)
- 12 ounces feta cheese (about 1 1/4 cups), crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, leaves stripped
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet or pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium to medium-high heat. Melt the butter into the EVOO. When the butter begins to foam, add the oregano, garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the tomatoes have burst and the sauce is thickened, 12-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Stir the sauce, then add the feta and cook until melted, about 1 minute. Add the pasta and the reserved starchy cooking water and toss to combine, 1-2 minutes. Top with the mint and parsley and serve.