Green Pasta with Ham and Eggs
Everyone will like this green pasta with ham and eggs! Serve this BLD meal anytime of day.
- 1 cup (packed) baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 5-6 small white or Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/3 pound sliced prosciutto di Parma, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips (not too thin!)
- 1 pound spinach tagliatelle or fettuccine
- Butter, for frying eggs
- 4-6 large Araucana or cage-free eggs (1 per serving)
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, to pass around the table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, place the spinach, parsley, basil and stock in a food processor and process to the consistency of a fine pesto. In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high, four turns of the pan. Add the potatoes and season with salt. Add pepper and the crushed red pepper and partially cover the pan. Cook the potatoes until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes, then add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the prosciutto and cook until the fat renders, 1-2 minutes.
Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve about 1 1/4 cups of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the cooked pasta, ground greens and pasta cooking water to the pan with the potatoes; toss to combine and adjust the seasoning.
In a medium size nonstick skillet, melt the butter and fry the eggs sunny-side up or over easy. Divide the pasta among bowls. Top with cheese and eggs.