Green Tortilla Soup
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 8 tomatillos, peeled and rinsed
- Natural cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or honey
- 1 quart vegetable stock, preferred brand Rachael Ray, divided
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large ears corn, shucked and kernels scraped from cobs or 2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 medium zucchini, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) cumin
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) coriander
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried Mexican oregano, lightly crushed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
To serve: diced avocado dressed with lime, thinly sliced radishes, toasted pepitas, cilantro leaves
This vegan meal is also gluten-free!
Preheat broiler. Place tomatillos on a baking sheet or broiler pan, spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Broil the tomatillos until charred and splitting. Place in a food processor with the lime juice, a teaspoon of agave or honey and 2 cups vegetable stock. Purée and reserve.
Reduce oven temperature to 400°F. Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and season with salt. Bake to crispy and golden.
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add corn and zucchini, and lightly brown. Add jalapeños, onions and garlic, and season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and oregano. Partially cover pot and soften onions 5-6 minutes. Add reserved tomatillo purée, remaining 2 cups stock and garbanzo beans, and simmer a few minutes for flavors to combine; adjust seasonings to taste.
To serve, arrange tortilla strips in shallow bowls and top with a few pieces of diced avocado, ladle soup over and garnish with radishes, pepitas and cilantro leaves.