This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 8 tomatillos, peeled and rinsed
- Natural cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or honey
- 1 quart vegetable stock, preferred brand Rachael Ray, divided
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large ears corn, shucked and kernels scraped from cobs or 2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 medium zucchini, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) cumin
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) coriander
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried Mexican oregano, lightly crushed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
To serve: diced avocado dressed with lime, thinly sliced radishes, toasted pepitas, cilantro leaves
This vegan meal is also gluten-free!
Preheat broiler. Place tomatillos on a baking sheet  or broiler pan , spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Broil the tomatillos until charred and splitting. Place in a food processor with the lime juice, a teaspoon of agave or honey and 2 cups vegetable stock. Purée and reserve.
Reduce oven temperature to 400°F. Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet , spray with cooking spray and season with salt. Bake to crispy and golden.
Heat a soup pot  over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan . Add corn and zucchini, and lightly brown. Add jalapeños, onions and garlic, and season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and oregano. Partially cover pot and soften onions 5-6 minutes. Add reserved tomatillo purée, remaining 2 cups stock and garbanzo beans, and simmer a few minutes for flavors to combine; adjust seasonings to taste.
To serve, arrange tortilla strips in shallow bowls  and top with a few pieces of diced avocado, ladle soup over and garnish with radishes, pepitas and cilantro leaves.