This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 8 slices meaty bacon
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 crisp apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1 pound/jar sauerkraut with caraway, drained (you can find it in the Whole Foods refrigerated section)
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied and pounded to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 8 slices Emmentaler or Jarlsberg Swiss cheese
- 1 cup Fabanaise or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
In a small skillet , sauté the fennel, apples and onion over medium heat in a drizzle of EVOO. Cook to tender-crisp, 7-8 minutes, then add sauerkraut and heat through.
Heat a large, nonstick skillet  over medium-high heat with a couple drizzles of EVOO. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook to brown, about 4 minutes; turn over and brush with about 1 tablespoon mustard per cutlet. Top each chicken piece with 2 slices of bacon and cheese; cover with foil to melt cheese then remove from heat.
Combine sour cream, relish, ketchup, Worcestershire in a small bowl .
Build sandwiches: On roll bottoms, place chicken and top with some apple-and-fennel ‘kraut. Smear dressing on roll tops and set in place. Serve with extra dressing on the side.