Grilled Eggplant Caprese with Speck
This simple salad supper works well for a light and lovely weeknight meal; you can also try serving it for brunch!
- 2 small to medium firm eggplants
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- A few sprigs of rosemary, coarsely chopped
- Crushed red pepper
- 2 cups wild or baby arugula
- 3 ripe heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 pound speck or other smoky or spicy ham, thinly sliced
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Thinly slice the eggplant in discs; salt and drain in a colander, 15-20 minutes.
Warm the oil with garlic and rosemary to infuse. Brush the eggplant on both sides and sprinkle with black and red pepper. Grill the eggplant for 2-3 minutes on each side until marked and tender. Cool to room temperature.
Season the sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper. On a platter, scatter a bed of arugula and over it layer the tomatoes with eggplant, basil and mozzarella. Drizzle the salad with the remaining garlic oil and top with speck.