Grilled Eggplant Subs with Mozzarella and Tomato Jam
This delicious, meat-free sammie is good for you!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- One can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 eggplants, cut into 8 slices each
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 sesame-crusted sub rolls
- One 1/2-1-pound ball smoked mozzarella, sliced into 8 rounds
In a large skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of the infused EVOO and the red onion over medium heat and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and vinegar, lower the heat and cook until thickened, 7 minutes.
Brush half the eggplant with the infused EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil, flipping once, until tender, 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
Dress the arugula and basil with the lemon juice and remaining infused EVOO; season with salt and pepper.
On each roll bottom, layer 4 eggplant slices, a handful of greens and 2 smoked mozzarella rounds. Grill or broil to melt the cheese. Slather the roll tops with the tomato jam and set in place.