This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 3 pounds lamb shoulder or beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 pounds (4 medium) Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into thirds across
- 3 to 4 large carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise then across
- 2 medium onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 12 to 16 large Brussels sprouts, halved and trimmed
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas, shelled
- Warm rye or grainy bread and butter for serving
Preheat oven to 275°F. Season meat with salt and pepper.
Heat a large Dutch oven  over medium-high to high heat. Add the oil, 2 turns of the pan , and brown the meat in 2 batches. Add stock and stir to deglaze. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, Brussels, bay and parsley; stir and bring to a simmer. Cover pan  and transfer to oven.
Roast stew about 2 1/4 hours then add the peas and roast another 15 minutes. Remove from oven, season with salt and pepper, and serve with bread and butter alongside.