Italian Chef Salad (Version 2)
Enjoy this Italian variation of a Cobb salad as an entrée or share with the family. Refreshing honeydew wrapped in prosciutto di parma, potatoes with a honey Dijon dressing, and tomato, ricotta salata and Italian lettuces set out in rows make a colorful and tasty salad.
- 6 eggs
- 1 pound small potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon acacia honey
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), plus more, for dressing tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen or ground fennel
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 small Galia melon or other ripe hand melon, peeled and seeded, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Juice of 1 lime
- Black pepper
- About 1/3-1/2 pound prosciutto di parma
- 3-4 vine-ripened or Roma tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound crumbled ricotta salata
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, trimmed washed and dried
- 1 radicchio, cored and shredded
- 1 bundle arugula, coarsely chopped
Cover the eggs with water in small pot. Cover with water, bring to rolling boil, then cover the pan and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs, crack the shells and let stand in cold water. Peel and slice the eggs.
Meanwhile, place the potatoes in pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, until tender; drain.
Dress the melon with the lime juice and season with coarse black pepper. Wrap slices of melon with ham and arrange on the greens.
In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the tomatoes, basil, ricotta salata, salt, pepper and EVOO.