Italian Combo Hoagies with Roast Beef, Hot Sausage, Peppers and Onions
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 1/2 pounds top sirloin tip roast
- Salt and pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, 2 pasted, 2 crushed and 4 sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/2 cups drained giardiniera (hot pickled vegetable salad)
- 1 cup pitted Italian green olives
- 2 onion, sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red field pepper, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 links hot Italian sausage
- 6 Italian hoagie rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart beef stock
Season beef with salt and pepper, and place in plastic food storage bag. In a bowl, whisk together the pasted garlic, fennel seeds, granulated onion, oregano, chili flakes, vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil. Add marinade to the bag with the meat and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Roast beef 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and roast 20-30 minutes more to an internal temperature of 135°F. Let beef rest before very thinly slicing or shaving.
For relish, combine the giardiniera and olives in a food processor and pulse-chop to a coarse relish; transfer to bowl.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, salt and pepper, and cook to soften. Add sliced garlic and stir a minute or 2 more. Add tomato paste and stir 1 minute; add chicken stock and reduce heat to low to simmer.
In another skillet, par-boil the sausages in 1 inch of water to cook through then grill on a hot grill pan to mark and crisp casings. Halve lengthwise or slice.
Dip rolls in gravy, fill with beef, sausage, peppers and onions, and top with giardiniera.