This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 links sweet fennel sausage, casings removed
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced (chop some of the fennel fronds for garnish)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small can pinto beans
- 4 eggs
- Salt and red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable, chicken or whatever stock you have around
- A few slices charred or toasted crusty bread
Preheat oven at 425°F.
Brown the sausage in a cast-iron skillet, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once the sausage is nice and crispy, remove it to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium and cook onions and fennel in the drippings. Be careful, don’t burn them; they’ll be just right after about 10 minutes once they get nice and golden. Add the garlic, pinto beans, reserved sausage and stock. Remove skillet from stovetop.
Crack eggs on top and bake for about 10-15 minutes until the eggs are set to your preferred consistency.
Serve directly from the skillet with bread alongside for mopping.