- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 large shallots, sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO )
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef sirloin
- 2/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 large bunch arugula
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Meanwhile, combine the ground beef, parsley and garlic and form into four patties, pressing your thumb into the center of each burger to prevent them from bulging when cooking. In a large nonstick skillet , heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan , over medium-high heat and cook the burgers for 7-8 minutes on each side for well-done.
While the burgers cook, in a medium size saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, whisk  in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk  in the milk and cook until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Add the provolone and, using a wooden spoon, stir in a figure-eight motion until combined; season with salt and pepper.
Toss the arugula with the lemon juice, the remaining 1 tablespoon of EVOO and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the warm tomatoes and shallots and toss to combine.
Serve each burger with a pile of salad and a small bowl  of cheese sauce for dipping.