Lamb Burgers with Garlic Yogurt Sauce and Pita
Greek ingredients are the inspiration for this delicious lamb burger and salad. Serve with Tabbouleh Salad with Nuts on the side.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon allspice (1/3 palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (1/2 palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (eyeball it in your palm)
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- A handful of plain breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, minced
- 4 large soft pitas
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
Put the lamb in a bowl. Using a box grater, grate the onion over the bowl so that the pulp of the onion and juices fall into the meat. Add the spices, chili pepper, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, to taste, and mix to combine. Form the meat mixture into four patties, thinner at the middle and thicker at the edges for even cooking.
While the patties cook, add the yogurt to a small bowl. Grate the garlic into the yogurt using a fine grater or zester. Add the mint and stir to combine.
Char the pitas over an open gas burner or outdoor grill.
Eat the burgers in or on the pita bread topped with the garlic-mint yogurt, sliced red onion and some shredded cabbage.