Lemon-Parm Sole with Arugula Salad
A citrus spark of lemon and Parmigiano-Reggiano added to eggs makes a wonderful dip for sole francaise. A sparkling red and green salad of arugula and tomatoes with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano complements the fish.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning or paprika
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 lemons-2 juiced separately, half cut into 4 wedges for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (a couple of handfuls), plus parm wedge for shaving into salad
- 5 – 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 4 sole fillets (about 6 oz. each)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups arugula leaves (2 bundles)-trimmed, washed and dried
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Place the flour in a shallow dish and season with the garlic and Old Bay (or paprika). In a second shallow dish, beat the eggs with the juice of 1 lemon and the cheese.
In a large skillet, heat about 3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Season the sole with salt and pepper; dip 2 fillets in the flour, then coat evenly with the egg-cheese mixture. Saute the sole until deep golden, 3- 4 minutes on each side; transfer to a warm oven. Repeat with remaining fillets.
In a bowl, combine the arugula and tomatoes and use a vegetable peeler to add some shaved curls of parmigiano-reggiano. Dress the salad with the juice of 1 lemon and the remaining EVOO; season with salt and pepper.
Serve each fillet with a wedge of lemon and some salad.