Lettuce Wrap Gyros with Chicken and Green Tzatziki
Summer is the time for light refreshing marinated chicken lettuce wraps with delicious tzatziki dip. Choose fish as filling for another day.
- 2 lemons, juiced, juice divided
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), divided (about 1/3 cup each for marinade and chimichurri)
- 1 teaspoon sumac or 1/2 teaspoon each sweet paprika and sweet smoked paprika, combined
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or sustainable firm white fish
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, shredded
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup fresh herb blend: flat leaf parsley leaves, mint and dill
- 2 large romaine hearts, leaves separaed into 4 portions
- Garnishes: chopped pepperoncini and tomatoes
Combine half the lemon juice with 2 cloves grated garlic, about 1/3 cup EVOO, the sumac (or paprika mix), oregano, coriander and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Season the chicken or fish with salt and pepper, then let stand in the marinade for 15 minutes.
Salt the cucumber in a colander; let rest for 10 minutes. Press out the excess liquid. In a food processor, combine the cucumber, yogurt, remaining lemon juice, 1 clove grated garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and fresh herbs. Puree, then season the tzatziki.
Heat a skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Shake excess marinade off the chicken or fish and place in the skillet; cook, flipping once halfway through, for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Slice the chicken on an angle or flake the fish.
Serve the chicken or fish with lettuce for wrapping. Top with some tzatziki, pepperoncini and tomatoes.