Lil’ Veg-Head Corn Dogs with Tomatillo Gazpacho Shooters
The classic carnival treat gets a delish twist for year 11 of Feedback!
- Frying oil, 2 1/2 inches deep in a long or wide pot or pan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Coleman’s dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon hot sauce added with liquids
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 20 to 24 vegetarian hot dogs, cut in half
- 8 (4- to 6-inch) bamboo or wooden skewers, trimmed to fit in pot or fryer
- Garnishes: chipotle mustard and/or chipotle ketchup
- 6 tomatillos, husked and cut in half, or 3 green tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled
- 1-2 stalk celery
- 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeño, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Small handful of cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- Honey, to taste
- Small hunk of stale bread, about 2 slices
- Good olive oil, to finish
- Cup of ice
- Green Tabasco, for serving
- Vodka (optional)
Heat a few inches of oil in pan or countertop fryer to 350°F for frying.
Sift flour, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir in cornmeal. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, hot sauce (if using), and 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet and place in a 275°F oven (This will keep your corn dogs crispy and warm after being fried). Pat vegetarian hot dogs dry, skewer them, then coat. Fry 2-3 hotdogs at a time in hot oil until they reach a deep, golden color all over, about 4-5 minutes. Drain cooked dogs on cooling rack and keep them warm in oven.
Serve corn dogs garnished with drizzles of mustard or sauce of your choice.
For the Tomatillo Gazpacho, place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until combined and to desired consistency. Serve in a tall shot glass with a floater of vodka (if desired) and green Tabasco for serving.