Mini Sausage, Mushroom and Cheese Calzones
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 batch One-Hour Pizza Dough or Naples Pizza Dough
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for the dough, divided
- 1 pound fennel pork sausage, bulk or removed from casings
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Fine semolina or “00” flour, for dusting the peel
- 2 cups sheep’s milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Garlic Lovers’ Calzone Sauce, for dipping
Preheat the oven and a pizza stone* at 550°F (or as high as your oven can go).
Cut the dough into eight portions. On a floured surface, roll out each portion of dough into an oval or rectangle 3-4 inches by 5-6 inches, and transfer to a semolina-dusted pizza peel.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO to the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook to brown. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and stir for a minute more.
Spread the ricotta over about half the surface of each dough pieces, leaving a small border around the edges. Scatter the Pecorino on top then dot with the mozzarella. Arrange the mushrooms and crumbled sausage over the cheese. Brush the edges of the dough with a little water, fold the calzone in half, and press to seal the edges. Prick the top of the calzone 2 or 3 times with the tines of a fork, then brush the calzone with EVOO.
Slide calzones onto pizza stone and cook until golden, 5-6 minutes.
* If you don’t have a pizza stone, preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Bake for 5-6 minutes on prepared baking sheet, then switch on the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes to char edges.