Hot mozzarella oozing from a fried, egg-dipped ham and cheese sandwich is a real treat!
- 8 slices good-quality white bread, crusts trimmed
- 8 slices 1/4-1/2-inch-thick fior di latte or fresh mozzarella cheese (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 slices prosciutto cotto or other mild ham of choice
- 1/2 cup flour, for dredging
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 3 large eggs
- A handful of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
Form the sandwiches: Bread, a slice of mozzarella, a slice of ham folded to fit inside the edges of bread, mozzarella and another slice of bread. Pinch the edges of the sandwiches to seal them.
Add flour to a shallow bowl  and season with the garlic and onion.
Beat the eggs in a dish with the Parm, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Heat a large frying pan  with a shallow layer of olive oil, 3-4 turns of the pan , over medium heat. Coat the sandwiches in flour, then in egg batter. Fry the sandwiches, two at a time, until deeply golden, 6-7 minutes, turning occasionally. Add a bit more oil to the pan , if necessary, for the second batch of sammies.
Cut the sandwiches corner to corner and serve.