Nine-Layer BBQ Chicken Burrito
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Barbecue Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 3 large cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce or ketchup
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
For the Black Beans:
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 12 meaty slices bacon
For the Chipotle Guacamole:
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons puréed chipotle in adobo
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 4 large flour tortillas, any flavor
- 2 cups smoked cheddar, shredded
- Pickled jalapeños
- Iceberg or gem Romaine lettuce, chopped or shredded
- Tomato, chopped and seeded
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the onions and garlic 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then add the vinegar, sugar, soy, Worcestershire, tomato sauce, black pepper and stock, and simmer 15 minutes to thicken. Pull meat from the chicken and discard the skin and bones. Add meat to sauce and keep warm. (If chicken dries out, add a little more chicken stock)
In a second skillet, sauté the onions, garlic and jalapeño pepper 3-5 minutes to soften. Add cumin, salt and pepper, and 1/2 cup water; simmer 5 minutes more. Add black beans and hot sauce; simmer over low heat and thicken.
In a small bowl, combine red onion, garlic, salt, lime juice and chipotle in adobo. Add avocado and cilantro, and mash up the guac.
Char tortillas on each side over an open flame or in a dry stainless skillet.
Build burritos: Fill tortillas with chicken, smoked cheese, black beans, lettuce, bacon and tomato, pickled jalapeños and smoky guacamole. Wrap and roll then cut in half and serve.