Pasta e Fagioli (Cooked in the Style of Risotto – Pasta Risottata)
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Sauce:
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mezze penne or penne pasta
- Salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
- 8 to 10 leaves sage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stripped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can cannellini or Roman beans (preferred brand Goya), drained
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus additional to pass at the table
Heat stock and water in a medium-size pot over moderate heat.
In a large, deep skillet, heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Melt butter into the oil; when it foams, add the pasta and stir. Once golden, add vegetables, garlic and herbs. Stir 2-3 minutes to soften then add tomato paste, stir to incorporate then add wine. Stir until wine is absorbed then add 2 cups of the warm stock and water. Stir gently until absorbed. Continuing adding the warm stock and water in stages until pasta is almost al dente and starchy/creamy. Add the white beans, let them heat through a minute then stir in cheese.
Serve in shallow bowls, drizzled with more EVOO and pass more cheese at the table.