Pepper Nachos with Corn, Crab and Pepper Jack
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the nachos:
- 4 large field or bell peppers, 2 red 1 yellow and 1 green
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large ears corn on the cob
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large jalapeños, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion or 2 fat shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 4 spring onions or scallions, whites and light greens chopped
- Juice of 2 limes, divided
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- Cayenne pepper sauce, to taste (I use Red Hot)
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pepper Jack
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow cheddar
- Shredded iceberg or gem lettuce
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive OIl, for drizzling
- Chopped cilantro
For the Dill and Chive Avo-Crema:
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup crema
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- A small handful each chives and dill
Cut peppers lengthwise into quarters and seed; finely dice 2 of the quarters and reserve for corn and crab filling. Cut each remaining quarter pepper into 3 chip-shaped triangles.
Arrange the pepper “chips” on a baking sheet, spray lightly with cooking spray and bake at 500°F for 7-8 minutes; remove from oven and season with salt.
Invert a small bowl in a large bowl and stand the ears of corn on the small bowl to scrape kernels from cob and collect them. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and sauté corn, chopped red peppers, jalapeños, onions or shallots, and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and thyme, and cook 5 minutes to soften. Add spring onions or scallions, and juice of 1 lime; remove pan from heat.
Run your fingers through the crab to check for shells then season with hot sauce and Old Bay Seasoning; combine with corn.
Top pepper chips with the corn and crab mixture, really mounding it up. Cap it all off with the cheeses then place back in oven a couple of minutes to melt.
In a food processor, blend crema ingredients and place in small bowl or squirt bottle.