Petite Filet Skewers with Anchovy Butter and Grilled Puttanesca Salad
Tender, juicy steak is set off nicely with a fresh tomato salad mixed with a grilled puttanesca sauce.
- 2 pounds cubed petite fillet of beef (ask your butcher – this is a fairly new cut at a great price)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 ciabatta rolls, split and charred (4 pieces total)
- 3-4 tablespoons sliced caper berries or capote capers
- 1/4 cup pitted oil cured olives, chopped
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, loosely packed, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
Place the meat on skewers. Pre-heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Heat 4 tablespoons EVOO in a small pan over medium-low heat. Add the butter and melt. When it foams, add the anchovies and melt them in. Add the garlic and chili pepper and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
Coat the onions and tomatoes with 1 tablespoon EVOO and grill the onion for 12 minutes until charred at edges and softened; grill the tomatoes for 5-6 minutes to mark and blister them.
Grill the meat skewers for 2 minutes on each side, basting them with the anchovy butter.
Douse the bread in the remaining butter and grill.
Chop the tomatoes and combine them with the grilled onion, capers, olives, parsley, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon EVOO, salt and pepper. Pile the salad over the toast and top with beef.