Pimento Mac and Cheese
Cheddar and pimentos make this dish full of flavor and zest!
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, plus additional for garnish
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons of hot sauce
- 3 cups sharp cheddar, grated, divided
- 2 3-ounce jars of pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
Pre-heat broiler to high or oven to 400°F.
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring it up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once at a boil, add some salt and the pasta, and cook it just shy of al dente.
Heat a large pot over medium heat with EVOO and butter. Add the onions, garlic, paprika, salt and ground black pepper, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook about a minute. Whisk in milk and hot sauce, and bring up to a bubble. Turn off the heat, and stir in half of the cheese in a figure-eight motion until it’s all melted.
When the pasta is done, drain it well and add it to the pot with the cheese sauce. Toss to combine. Fold in the drained pimientos then pour everything into baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake in oven until cheese is brown and bubbling. Garnish with the chopped parsley and a sprinkle of paprika.