Vegetarians will love this mushroom pasta dish!
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound pappardelle or fettuccine pasta
- One container vegetable or chicken stock (32-ounces or 4 cups
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 1 cup packed flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- A wedge of pecorino romano cheese, for grating at the table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a saucepan, simmer the vegetable stock and porcinis until the porcinis are softened, 15 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the shallots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the parsley, then the wine. Lower the heat to low.
Remove the mushrooms from the stock and finely chop; add to the parsley-shallot mixture. Ladle in the stock up to the last ladleful (to avoid the grit at the bottom).
Toss the pasta with the porcini-parsley sauce and serve with a little grated Pecorino Romano on top.