Pork Chops Smothered with Peppers and Onions
Pork chops in a peppers and onions wine sauce is a spicy dish to serve with Buttery Tomato Spaghetti.
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1 1/2-inches thick, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), divided
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 cubanelle peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or red wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Sprinkle the chops with liberal amounts of salt and black pepper.
While the chops cook, slice the garlic, onion and peppers.
Remove the chops from the skillet and add the remaining tablespoon EVOO. Then add the fennel seed, garlic, onion and peppers and toss to soften, 5 minutes. Next, add the tomato paste and stir, 1 minute.
Deglaze the pan with the wine; add the stock and stir. Nestle the pork into the pan and move the peppers and onions on top of the meat. Place in the oven and roast to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 10 minutes.