Traditional posole, a delicious soup, gets turned into a lasagna for a new way of serving up amazing Mexican flavors like cumin and coriander.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO ), divided
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can hominy (15 ounces)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, chopped
- 12 large tomatillos (14-16 if small), peeled and coarsely chopped
- A handful of cilantro or parsley leaves
- 3 avocados
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 package large flour tortillas
- 1 pound pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Sour cream, to pass at table
Place a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the broiler or place the oven on 400°F.
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO , a turn of the pan , in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and crumble it up as it browns. While the pork browns, season the meat with cumin, coriander and salt and pepper. Once browned evenly, stir in the hominy and reduce the heat to simmer.
While the meat cooks heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO in a saucepot ; add the onions, garlic and peppers, season with salt and pepper and sauté until softened, 5-6 minutes. Place the tomatillos and cilantro or parsley in a food processor and process until almost smooth. Pour into the onion and garlic mixture and simmer to mellow, 5-6 minutes more. Replace the processor bowl . Pit and scoop the avocado flesh into the processor, add the lime zest and juice. Add the honey, puree until smooth and season with a little salt. Stir the avocado mixture into the green sauce and remove from the heat.
Char all of the tortillas over an open flame or in dry hot skillet.
In a baking dish, layer the sauce, tortilla, meat, cheese, tortilla, sauce, meat, cheese, etc. End with a layer of tortilla, sauce and finally cheese. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes, until bubbly and the cheese is brown. Pass sour cream at the table.