Quick Cherry Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti
This quick and light recipe makes use of summer’s tomatoes and will get you in and out of the kitchen in no time!
- 2 pints fresh cherry tomatoes
- About 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, Italian cherry or Fresno, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or grated
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup white vermouth or 1/2 cup dry white wine
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- A few leaves basil, torn
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Grated pecorino cheese
Heat a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
Halve the cherry tomatoes.
Heat 1/4 cup EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chili pepper, garlic and capers and swirl around for 2-3 minutes; add the vermouth or wine and the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the herbs and simmer while the pasta cooks, 8-10 minutes.
Cook the pasta in salted, boiling water. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water and drain the pasta. Add the reserved starchy cooking water and the pasta to the sauce and toss for 1-2 minutes. Top with cheese and serve immediately.