Quick Turkey Croquettes
The best part about Thanksgiving? The leftovers! Use your leftover turkey to make these delicious croquettes.
Spanish croquetas are little hand-held bundles that are crispy on the outside, and hot and oozing on the inside with a filling that usually includes mashed potatoes and ham, chicken or fish. Croquettes are the French or Southern version. –RR
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or any light colored oil, plus some for frying
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 pound leftover sliced turkey
- 1 1/2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- A few pinches whole nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cranberry sauce
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot and parsley, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Add the mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, salt, pepper, egg and cooled veggies. Mix to combine and form 10 patties about an inch thick.
Dredge the patties in the remaining breadcrumbs and brown in two batches in a single layer in the hot oil for 2 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown. Drain on paper towels and transfer to a serving plate. Serve with cranberry sauce and gravy alongside.