Rabe Stuffed Stromboli Bread
Rach creates a volcano of a sammie with a lava of melted mozzarella, provolone and parm atop sausage and rabe.
- 1 large loaf semolina bread
- 2 bundles of broccoli rabe
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1 pound bulk hot or sweet chicken or pork sausage, removed from casing
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- A little freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup (a couple of handfuls) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
Cutting lengthwise, remove the top off the loaf of bread and scoop out the insides. Reserve the top piece.
Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet over high heat. Trim the ends off the broccoli rabe and cut into 3-4-inch pieces. Cook in salted water and reduce the heat to simmer. (Add the rabe in stages as it wilts down – it’s a mountain of greens!) Simmer for 5 minutes, then drain. Shock in cold water and reserve.
Heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break it up into small pieces as it browns. Add the garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then add the reserved rabe and cook to heat through. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
Fill the hollowed-out loaf of bread with the sausage and rabe mixture and top with a the three cheeses: Parmigiano Reggiano, mozzarella and provolone. Replace the top of the loaf, wrap the bread in foil and bake to melt the cheese, about 12-15 minutes. Cut into thick pieces and serve.