Rachael’s Beef ‘n’ Bean Skillet Macho Nachos
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, about 2 scant palmfuls (I like Gebhardt)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander, about 2/3 palmful
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- One 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- Yellow or blue corn tortilla chips, for serving
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack or Monterey, 4 ounces
- 1 cup shredded Chihuahua cheese or mild cheddar, 4 ounces
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- Pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled, then chopped and dressed with the juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 scallions, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high. Add the oil, two turns of the pan. Add the beef. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the spices. Cook, stirring often, until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the onion, chile, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring often, until absorbed, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans. Reduce heat to low.
Top the beef and beans with the cheeses. Broil until browned and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Top with the tomato, oregano, jalapeño slices, cilantro, avocado, and scallions.
Serve the dip directly from the skillet with the chips.