Rachael’s Buffalo Fried Chicken Tacos
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
The spicy-hot flavors of Buffalo wings + chicken fingers + tacos = a tex-mex twist that’s impossible to resist.
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon each sugar, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons each ground white pepper, ground black pepper, turmeric and cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pasted
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 limes
- 2 Haas avocados
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cayenne pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 to 3 quarts frying oil, such as safflower or canola
- Charred flour and corn tortillas, blister in stainless or cast iron pan over high heat or oven open flame on gas burners
- Chopped iceberg lettuce
- Chopped bread and butter pickles
- Crispy bacon bits
- Pickled jalapeño slices
- Grated or crumbled Cotija cheese or sharp white cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges
- Hot honey
- Hot sauces
For seasoned salt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
For guacamole, in a bowl, combine onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt, cumin and juice of 2 limes, and let stand 10 minutes. Halve, pit and add avocados to the bowl, add cilantro or parsley, and mash, adjust salt.
Heat frying oil to 350˚F or preheat over medium-high heat in a fry pot or Dutch oven, leaving at least 2½ inches between oil line and top of pot.
Coat the chicken in egg batter, then in flour, shaking off excess. Fry chicken tenders in batches to deep golden. Transfer to wire rack in a lined baking sheet. When cool enough to handle, slice the tenders on the bias to serve.
Char tortillas. Serve with toppings of choice.