Rachael’s A Burger To Love: Balsamic-Rosemary Cheese Burgers with Horseradish Sauce, Mushrooms and Onions
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the onions:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- Salt and fine black or white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
For the mushrooms:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup sherry or ½ cup white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the burgers:
- 8 slices meaty bacon
- 1½ pounds (80/20) ground beef
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic drizzle or aged Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices fontina or mild provolone cheese
- 4 burger buns, split
- 4 slices beefsteak tomato
For the horseradish sauce:
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup aquafaba-based/chickpea mayo or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives or scallions
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
For the onions, in a skillet over medium heat, melt butter, add onions and season with salt and pepper, add a bay leaf. Cook onions, low and slow, to light caramel color, 20-25 minutes. Add 1 cup water, and cook over low heat until liquid is completely absorbed, 10 minutes more.
Meanwhile, for the mushrooms, preheat a second skillet over medium-high heat, add EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, and add mushrooms to brown, 10-12 minutes. Add thyme, garlic, and salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes more. Add sherry or wine, let it absorb completely, turn off the heat, then add lemon juice.
For the burgers, preheat a large cast-iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Place beef in bowl. Using a handheld grater, grate onion over bowl so meat collects juices. Season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Add garlic, Balsamic and EVOO, mix into meat, and form 4 patties thinner at center and thicker at edges for even cooking. Cook patties 8 minutes, turning occasionally, melt 2 slices cheese on each patty.
Assemble burgers: bun bottom, horseradish sauce, bacon, sliced tomato, burger patty, mushrooms, onions, bun top.