Rachael’s Chicken Paillard with Mornay Sauce, Garlicky Greens and Frico Egg
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Chicken Paillard with Garlicky Greens:
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, no tenders attached, butterflied open and pounded in plastic bags or between plastic film to no more than ⅛-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated or thinly sliced
- 1 bunch rainbow Swiss chard or 1 pound spinach, stemmed
- 1 lemon
For the Mornay Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg, a few grates or to taste
- Salt and white pepper or fine black
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the Frico Eggs:
- 1½ cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 large cage-free eggs
- Salt and pepper
For the chicken, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
For the mornay sauce, heat a saucepot over medium to medium-high heat. Melt butter, whisk in flour, whisk in milk, bring to bubble and season with salt and white or fine black pepper, a few grates of nutmeg. Thicken to just coat spoon and stir in cheese, then reduce heat to low.
For eggs, use a small nonstick skillet or 2 if you have them. Heat skillet over medium heat with a generous handful of parm, enough to coat the bottom. When it begins to melt, top with egg and cover with lid or foil. Cook to desired doneness and season with salt and pepper. Let eggs stand 2 minutes to remove so the cheese sets.
Build plates: chicken paillard in pool of sauce or topped with some sauce, greens, frico egg, serve.