Rachael’s Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3 large roasting/field red peppers
- About 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 large onions, chopped or quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
- 6 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, dried thyme, granulated garlic, granulated onion and red pepper flakes
- Deli-sliced provolone and mozzarella, halved (about ½ pound each)
- 6 Philly or soft Italian sub rolls, split
- Drained and chopped giardiniera (Italian hot pickled vegetable salad) or sliced hot pickled cherry peppers
This recipe makes 6 full-size Philly Cheesesteaks or 12-18 mini sandwiches, depending if rolls are halved or cut into thirds
Roast peppers over an open flame or under a preheated broiler to blacken skins. Place in a bowl and cover to cool, then peel and seed. Thinly slice peppers lengthwise. Dress with some EVOO, salt, pepper and fresh thyme.
To a skillet over medium-low to medium heat, add olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook to soften, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, cook 10 minutes more, then add ½ cup water and cook until absorbed.
Place chicken in freezer for 10 minutes. Using a chef’s knife, thinly slice the chicken on an angle going against the grain. Pat the meat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a large cast-iron griddle or skillet over high heat.
Combine the dried oregano and thyme, the granulated garlic and onion, and chili flakes.
Add a fat drizzle of olive oil to the hot griddle or skillet. Add the chicken in batches in a single layer, season with the spice blend, and cook, tossing, until crisp at the edges and cooked through.
Line the rolls with cheese and fill with the chicken. Top with onions, peppers and giardiniera or hot peppers, and serve.