Rachael’s Chili Cheeseburgers
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Chili Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (Rach likes Gebhardt’s)
- 1½ teaspoons cumin (half a palmful)
- 1½ teaspoons coriander (half a palmful)
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika (half a palmful)
- 1 cup lager beer or beef stock
- 1 can (14 ounces) crushed or diced fire-roasted tomatoes
For the Burgers:
- 18 frozen onion rings
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1½ pounds ground beef (80/20)
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup grated onion and its juice
- About 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ pound sliced yellow American or cheddar cheese, sliced on the thick side at deli
- 6 burger rolls (Rach likes Hot Bread Kitchen or Amy’s with sesame seeds)
- Sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
For chili sauce, heat oil in skillet or saucepot over medium-high heat and brown beef, season with salt and pepper, then add onion, jalapeno, garlic and spices. Cook until onions are tender, about 4-5 minutes, then add beer or stock and let it absorb. Add tomatoes to chili and simmer until ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 425˚F (or use package directions) and cook frozen fried onion rings to very crisp and golden, 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, for burgers, heat large cast-iron skillet or plancha/griddle over medium-high heat until pan is very hot with oil. Combine beef with salt, pepper, grated onion and Worcestershire. Form 6 patties, thinner at center than edges for even cooking, and grill them 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally, top with cheese and melt.
Serve cheeseburgers on rolls topped with chili, pickled jalapeño peppers and onion rings.