Rachael’s Garlicky Burgers with Bacon, Beefsteak Tomato and Parm Frico Eggs and Quick Pickles
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Burgers:
- 8 slices meaty bacon
- 1½ pounds ground beef (80%)
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 brioche rolls, split
- 4 slabs beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes
For the Quick Pickles:
- 4 large Kirby cucumbers, sliced (or 6 Persian cucumbers or 1 seedless cucumber)
- ½ small red onion, sliced lengthwise
- A handful of fresh dill
- 1 cup white wine or white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each mustard seed and dill seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Heat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat or on outdoor grill.
Place beef in bowl and combine with salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and Worcestershire sauce. Form 4 hamburger patties that are thinner at center than edges for even cooking. Add a little oil to the pan and cook about 8 minutes, turning occasionally for medium. Remove.
To make frico eggs, for each egg, heat a 6-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ½ cup cheese and when it melts and bubbles, add egg and cover. Cook egg to soft medium or fried, then cool a minute or 2 and remove with thin spatula.
For the pickles, arrange cucumbers, onions and dill in jar or plastic container.
Heat remaining ingredients just long enough to melt sugar and salt, then pour over cucumbers and chill until ready to serve. (The pickles will keep up to 2 weeks. Make these a day ahead of the burgers, if possible.)
To serve: bun bottom, pickles, patty covered with 4 small strips of bacon evenly across patty, tomato, frico egg, bun top.