To serve, build burgers on brioche rolls with lettuce and suggested fixins of choice.
Rachael’s Half-Pound Beef Burgers with Drunken Red Onion Jam
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
A classic all-beef burger gets the over-the-top treatment with Rach’s red onion jam made with red wine and a slew of tasty toppings.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 3 red onions, chopped or quartered through root and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ bottle Italian red wine, such as Chianti or Rosso di Montalcino or Montepulciano
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider or juice
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 pounds 80% ground beef
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brioche rolls or other burger rolls of choice, halved and toasted
- Red leaf Romaine or red leaf lettuce, to serve
- Sliced Fontina cheese or provolone cheese
- Dijon or grainy Dijon mustard
- Baked crispy bacon or chopped bacon bits
- Giardiniera, caper berries, olives or Peppadew peppers, to serve alongside
- Fancy olive oil potato chips
For the red onion jam, heat a 3-quart saucepot over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 tablespoons, add onions and season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, wine, sugar, vinegar, juice, juniper, thyme, rosemary and bay, bring to boil and reduce for about 1 hour.
For the burgers, preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
Season the beef with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Form patties about 1-inch thick, a little thinner at the center than edges for even cooking. Drizzle the pan with oil and add patties. Cook burgers about 8-10 minutes for pink centers, turning occasionally.