Rachael’s Hard Shell Red Eye Tacos
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- ½ pound spicy bulk breakfast sausage
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, such as Gebhardt’s
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander (half a scant palmful)
- 1½ teaspoons cumin (half a scant palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (1/3 palmful)
- 1 large or 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup strong coffee, leftover from breakfast or brewed
- ½ cup water
- Hard shell squared-bottom large corn taco shells
- Shredded pepper jack and/or cheddar cheeses (2½ cups total)
- Shredded lettuce, iceberg or gem Romaine
- Diced tomatoes or store-bought taco sauce
- Pickled jalapeno pepper rings
- Chopped raw and rinsed white onions
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, a turn of the pan, add beef and sausage, brown and crumble. Season the beef with salt, pepper, chili powder, coriander, cumin and oregano. Add jalapeno peppers, onion and garlic, combine, then soften 7-8 minutes. Add coffee and water, stir to combine, then lower heat and allow liquids to absorb.
Preheat oven to 375˚F and warm and toast taco shells.
Fill shells: cheese, beef and pork filling, lettuce, tomatoes, pickled jalapeños, and raw onions.