Rachael’s Italian-American Salad
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the salad:
- 3 heads baby Gem romaine lettuce, chopped (Please note the recent E. coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 english cucumber, diced
- 2 vine tomatoes, chopped (leave seeds in)
For the Italian dressing:
- 1/8 cup acacia honey
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
For the croutons:
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 loaf white peasant bread, ½ inch dice
- ½ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Black pepper
For the antipasto:
- ½ pound Genoa salami, ½-inch cubes
- ½ pound Capicola, ½ inch cubes
- ½ pound Provolone, ½ inch cubes
- Cherry pepper rings
Place all salad ingredients in a large serving bowl and set aside.
Place all dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake until combined.
For the croutons, melt the butter into the olive oil on the stove, then grate in garlic. Pour over bread cubes and toss to combine. Toast in a 400˚F oven for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. While warm, toss with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and black pepper.
Serve salad with salami, capicola, provolone, and cherry pepper rings on the side.