Rachael’s Korean Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Kimchi Slaw
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (2-3 breasts halved horizontally)
- 11/2 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Frying oil, such as safflower or vegetable oil
- 4-6 soft buns
- 1/2 cup mayo , or Fabanaise (aqua faba mayo substitute)
- 1 tablepoon Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded savoy cabbage, or white or red cabbage
- 1 cup kimchi, store-bought, shredded, plus a splash of brine
- 1/2 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil, half a turn of pan
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger root, grated or minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons Korean chili paste (gochujang), to taste
For the chicken, combine the marinade ingredients in a bag: soy, chili paste, lime, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, coriander and pepper. Add chicken to bag and marinate overnight or several hours.
For the slaw, whisk up mayo or Fabanaise, chili paste, sugar or honey, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and scallions, add cabbage and kimchi and a splash of brine, toss and chill until ready to serve. (Slaw can be made a day ahead.)
For the barbecue sauce, add oil to a skillet over medium heat, stir garlic and ginger 1 minute, add soy sauce and dissolve the sugar into the pan, add rice wine vinegar, honey, cornstarch and sesame oil to thicken. Add chili paste to taste.
To prepare chicken, heat frying oil to 350˚F in deep skillet or tabletop fryer. Arrange dishes for breading in 3 shallow dishes: half the flour, buttermilk, remaining flour. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Working with a couple of pieces of chicken at a time, drain off excess marinade and coat chicken in flour, buttermilk and flour. Fry chicken to deep golden and crispy, 6-7 minutes. Drain on wire rack.
Place chicken on buns and top with barbecue sauce and slaw.