Rachael’s Mean Green Pulled Chicken Chili
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded for mild or with seeds and ribs for spicy (or 2 serrano peppers)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a scant palmful
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Two 11-14 ounce cans crushed fire-roasted tomatillos, or canned tomatillos
- 1 can pinto beans, or white beans
- A drizzle of light agave, or honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, or flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Grated Monterey Jack cheese , or Pepper Jack and Swiss cheeses
- Mexican crema, or sour cream
- Tortilla chips, corn or flour (or strips)
- Red onions, thinly sliced
- Pickled sliced jalapeno pepper rings
Heat broiler to high or, if you have a gas stove, turn on a burner to medium-high. Char poblano peppers all over, then place in bowl and cover to cool. Peel and seed, then chop peppers.
Meanwhile, remove skin from chicken. Pull meat into bite-sized pieces and discard bones.
In a Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, add onion, garlic and jalapeño or serrano peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Stir 4-5 minutes to soften, then add cumin and coriander, and stir a minute more. Add stock, tomatillos, beans and chicken and bring to bubble. Lower heat and simmer a few minutes. Add the honey, juice of 1 lime, cilantro or parsley, and chopped poblano peppers to the chili and adjust salt and pepper. Serve chili in shallow bowls with toppings of choice.