Rachael’s Meat Lovers’ Sauce with Paccheri or Rigatoni
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 pound paccheri or rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- ¼ pound pancetta, finely chopped
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- ½ pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground or dried sage (about 1/3 palmful) or 1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for tossing and serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In a large skillet or saucepot, heat the olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring often, until the fat renders, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the sausage and beef; season with salt, pepper, the fennel seeds and sage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the wine and cook until just absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 10 to 15 minutes.
Salt the boiling water and add the pasta. Cook until 1 minute shy of the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain.
Toss the pasta with the sauce, reserved cooking water, and a fat handful of cheese. Drizzle with EVOO to taste. Serve and pass with more cheese at the table.
From Rachael Ray Every Day, February 2017