Rachael’s Pasta with Sausage Ragu
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
Using both sweet and hot sausage means extra flavor in this simple, classic pasta sauce that comes together quickly.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pound sweet sausage with fennel
- ½ pound hot sausage
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons sage, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- One 14-ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes, or 2 cups passata
- 1 pound Gigli Toscani, campanelle or other short-cut pasta
- Grated pecorino cheese, and/or sheep’s milk ricotta
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, add carrot, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Sweat the vegetables to soften 5-7 minutes. Split the sausages from their casings and remove the meat. Add the sausage and pork to the pot and break up with a wooden spoon or fork to lightly brown and crumble. Add the sage and tomato paste, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and let it absorb, add stock and tomatoes and lower heat to simmer.
Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
Salt water and cook the pasta 1 minute less than package directions. Reserve about ¾ cup starchy cooking water and drain pasta. Toss pasta with sauce and cooking water to combine, add grated cheese or ricotta if you prefer a very creamy presentation.