This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show . For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
Using both sweet and hot sausage means extra flavor in this simple, classic pasta sauce that comes together quickly.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO 
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pound sweet sausage with fennel
- ½ pound hot sausage
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons sage, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- One 14-ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes, or 2 cups passata
- 1 pound Gigli Toscani, campanelle or other short-cut pasta
- Grated pecorino cheese, and/or sheep’s milk ricotta
Heat a large Dutch oven  over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan , add carrot, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Sweat the vegetables to soften 5-7 minutes. Split the sausages from their casings and remove the meat. Add the sausage and pork to the pot and break up with a wooden spoon or fork to lightly brown and crumble. Add the sage and tomato paste, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and let it absorb, add stock and tomatoes and lower heat to simmer.
Bring a large pot  of water to boil for pasta.
Salt water and cook the pasta 1 minute less than package directions. Reserve about ¾ cup starchy cooking water and drain pasta. Toss pasta with sauce and cooking water to combine, add grated cheese or ricotta if you prefer a very creamy presentation.