This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show . For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
“Rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey promises this casserole will deliver in no time,” says Rach, “but it is a great make-ahead too.”
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
- 2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Swiss, Gruyere or Jack cheese
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken (1 chicken) or cooked turkey, meat pulled or chopped, skin and bones removed
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, divided
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed or coarse processed into crumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Bring a large pot  to a boil for noodles.
In a large skillet  over medium-high heat, melt half the butter. When it foams, add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and soften a few minutes, then add salt, pepper and thyme. Stir in flour to coat, add lemon zest, then whisk  in stock and half-and-half and bring to a bubble and thicken sauce. Stir sour cream into sauce and combine, add cheese and melt, add chicken or turkey and half the poppy seeds, heat the meat through and adjust seasoning.
Cook pasta 5 minutes and drain, then combine with sauce and chicken or turkey. Place in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish .
Melt remaining butter and stir in Worcestershire, hot sauce, granulated garlic, granulated onion and celery seed. Combine with Ritz crackers and parsley. Top casserole with crackers and Parm and pass under the broiler to brown in hot oven.