Rachael’s Potato Waffles with Bacon, Eggs and Charred Green Onions
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 large or 3 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus seasoning for onions and eggs
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus seasoning for onions and eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus a dab for cooking eggs
- 1 cup yellow sharp cheddar
- Cooking spray
- 1 bunch large scallions, whites and greens, roots trimmed and trim tough ends of tops
- 4 large eggs
Preheat oven to 375°F and a waffle iron on 5 or to medium-high to high.
Place potatoes in mesh strainer and salt, let drain 10 minutes.
Arrange bacon on slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp.
Press all the excess liquid out of potatoes, transfer to a bowl, and add eggs, flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon each of white and black pepper, and the baking powder. Mix to combine, then stir in sour cream, melted butter and cheese.
Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray, mound with the potatoes and cook waffles to deeply brown and golden.
Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Spray green onions with cooking spray, season with salt and pepper, and grill to tender and brown at edges; remove and coarsely chop. Wipe pan and cook eggs over-easy to medium.
Top each potato waffle with a star of 3 slices of crossed bacon strips, chopped onions, and an egg.
From Rachael Ray Every Day, March 2018.