This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show . For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- ½ pound spinach
- A fat handful of mint
- 1 small green chili pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano, stemmed, seeded if you prefer mild heat, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 small lemon
- 6 cups homemade or store-bought chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO )
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ cups arborio or carnaroli rice
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup white wine (optional)
- 2 cups fresh peas
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 round cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 fat handfuls)
In a food processor pulse, chop the spinach, adding a few handfuls at a time, and with the last handful, add the mint leaves, chili pepper and juice of lemon.
In a medium saucepot  over medium-low heat, warm the stock or broth.
Heat a risotto pan  or rounded bottom pot over medium-high heat, add EVOO , onion and garlic, soften 2-3 minutes, add rice and season with salt and pepper, and toast the rice 2 minutes. Add wine and let it absorb while stirring rice with wooden spoon or risotto spoon (a spoon with a hole at its center to build more starch as you stir). Add a few ladles of stock at a time and stir vigorously to build a creamy, starchy risotto. From the first addition of the stock, the risotto will take 18 minutes to prepare to al dente. In the last 3 to 5 minutes, add the spinach mixture and peas, then just before serving, melt in the butter. Finish with cheese, and adjust salt and pepper.