Rachael’s Sliced Hanger Steak with Smoky Mustard Dressing and Spring Vegetables with Shallots and Greens
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the steak:
- 1½ to 2 pounds hanger steak (if not available, flank steaks cut into 6-8 ounce portions)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard or prepared English mustard
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar, white or red
- About 2 teaspoons honey
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon pimenton, smoked sweet paprika or Aleppo pepper (1/3 palm full)
For the vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A small bunch of ramps, finely chopped, or 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed of tough ends and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1½ to 2 cups freshly shelled peas
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 heads Gem or butter lettuces, coarsely chopped
- ½ lemon
For the steaks, bring steak to room temperature. Pound out lightly to same thickness and cut into 6-8 ounce portions. Season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, honey, lemon and garlic. Stream in the EVOO, about 1/3 cup, while whisking. Season sauce with smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
Heat grill or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high to high heat.
For the vegetables, in a sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat, heat EVOO. Add butter and melt into oil, then add ramps or shallots, asparagus and peas and cook about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add stock and reduce heat to low.
Place steak in hot, smoking pan and let brown before turning. Cook the steak 8 minutes for medium-rare or about 10 minutes for medium to medium-well, turning occasionally. Let meat rest 5-10 minutes, then slice against the grain.
Turn heat off the vegetables and wilt in the lettuce.
Serve the steaks topped with the mustard sauce and the greens alongside.