Rachael’s South American Chivito Sandwich
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 bell peppers, or mild large peppers, yellow and red
- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 1 cup flat parsley, packed
- 1/2 cup cilantro tops
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- About 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- About 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, (EVOO)
- 3/4 pound very thinly sliced boneless rib eye, from your butcher, as for Philly cheesesteaks
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, or canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced mozzarella, or mild provolone
- 4 round or oval rolls
- Baby or hearts of romaine, thinly sliced tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onions, to serve
- 3/4 pound cooked ham, such as Prosciutto cotto (plain or with rosemary)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, available peeled in packages near fresh eggs
Broil or char peppers over open flame on gas stove to blacken and loosen skins. Place peppers in bowl and cover to cool. Seed and peel the peppers, then cut into strips.
To a food processor, add parsley, cilantro, oregano, shallots, garlic and jalapeño and pulse to finely chop, add vinegar and stream in EVOO.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef on hot pan with a drizzle of high temp oil in small batches to brown, season with salt and pepper and coarsely chop as you turn the meat with the spatula. Add cheese to melt, remove meat to platter and repeat.
Assemble sandwiches: roll bottom, lettuce, onion, steak/cheese, peppers, ham, bacon, tomato, egg, sauce, and roll top.