Rachael’s Spaghetti Squash with Pesto alla Genovese
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
A classic pesto gets paired with veggie “noodles” for a yummy gluten-free twist on pasta night. She suggests serving this dish with a simple arugula and cherry tomato salad.
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- About 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano or Fiore Sardo cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- About 1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- About 1/4 cup pine nuts, raw
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4-5 cups “Holy Basil” or small leaves of basil, buy 2 large bunches and pick smallest leaves (about 2 1/2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Split the squash across and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle or spray the squash flesh with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast about 35-40 minutes on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cool the squash cut-side out to cool to handle. Shred the squash into “spaghetti,” which should still be firm—al dente squash spaghetti.
In a food processor, pulse the cheese into coarse sand. Transfer to a bowl. Add nuts, garlic, zest of 1 lemon and salt to a food processor and pulse into a fairly smooth paste. Add cheese to nut paste and add about 3 tablespoons EVOO; process until smooth. Pulse process basil into sauce until fairly smooth, adding juice of 1 lemon and remaining EVOO.